Gran Canaria, a tiny island located in the middle of the northern Atlantic Ocean, is an authentic sanctuary for cetaceans. That’s the reason why dolphin watching in Gran Canaria is an experience you can’t miss if you dare to come to this earthly paradise.
In fact, the Canary Islands is a region with an abundant marine life. The reasons? The strategic position of the archipelago between many migration routes attracts plenty of sea mammals that find this islands suitable for their voyages across the ocean.
Among the marine mammals that usually visit Gran Canaria, you can find different species as varied as the next ones:
- Eden’s whale (Balaenoptera edeni)
- Short-beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis)
- Common bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)
If you’re interested in getting to know what types of cetaceans come to the Canary Islands, don’t forget to check the next article:
Indeed, the waters surrounding Gran Canaria are home to a large quantity of small fishes and plankton of great value for the dolphins, that come here to rest thanks to the water temperature and the volcanic origin of the region.
They are so happy around the island that it’s no surprise to seeing them swimming next to the boats that every day sail to spot cetaceans.
Best areas for dolphin watching in Gran Canaria
If you’re wondering where to spot dolphins in Gran Canaria, then you should know that the southern part of the area is a protected area for all the sea life. In fact, southwestern Gran Canaria was declared a Biosphere Reserve by the UNESCO back in 2005.
That’s the reason why watching cetaceans in Gran Canaria is an activity that you should always hire this activity through official channels and never through unregistered ones. One of the best ways it’s Dunas Hotels & Resorts.
- Suite & Villas by Dunas and Maspalomas Resorts by Dunas are two linked hotels that share many things. Among them you can find total tranquility perfect for relaxing and big open areas full with lush gardens and amazing pool areas next to the Maspalomas Dunes.
- Mirador Maspalomas by Dunas, also in Maspalomas, is an all-inclusive hotel where the little ones always have a great time. The reason? The animation team of this child-friendly hotel, an absolute guarantee for all the parents looking for some relax in their holidays.
- Don Gregory by Dunas located in San Agustín is a great choice for couples, as this is one of the best adults-only hotel in Gran Canaria. Among the services of this beachfront hotel you can find a Wellness Centre, an infinity pool, and a solarium area next to its terrace bar.
How to spot dolphins in Gran Canaria
Dolphin watching in Gran Canaria can be experienced through different ways. There is a really wide offer for all kinds of publics, so below are shown the most popular ones. Before continuing... do you prefer a first hand experience or are you more of an observing person?
1. Dolphin spotting boat trip
A tour along the southern coast of Gran Canaria will allow you to watch cetaceans almost everyday of the year. Be sure to hire a service that meet the ‘Blue Boat’ standards, so you can be sure that they respect the law and guarantee a hassle-free life to sea mammals.
2. Swimming with dolphins in Gran Canaria
If you’re more into water sports, then a good swim besides some cetaceans is truly made for you. Dive and snorkel with them to feel an unforgettable experience in Gran Canaria and play with these friendly animals.
Recommendations for spotting dolphins in Gran Canaria
In order to enjoy this kind of excursion to the fullest, it’s really advisable that you don’t forget to bring binoculars and sunscreen, as the sun is a dangerous enemy, even on cloudy days (luckily, there are few of these each year).
Finally, a product to combat dizziness would be great and some warm clothing because the sea and the boat movement produce a lowering of the thermal sensation. With all of this, you can truly experience dolphin watching in Gran Canaria with the best conditions!