Usually winter is associated more with cold and rain, a warm house with heating, blanket and warm clothes. On Gran Canaria it looks completely different in December. While it is freezing cold at home, on this island you will find eternal summer and can exchange the snow for soft sand, the rain for the sun and the clouds for a dreamlike sunset full of incredible colours.
Spending a winter holiday in Gran Canaria is a popular option for many people. A Christmas in shorts, swimming suits or bikini is an extraordinary and special experience. Those who have experienced it before know exactly what we are talking about. If you choose this island, where the summer lasts more than three months, you will have a huge choice of activities. So you will be able to fully enjoy every day during your holiday in Gran Canaria.
In this article you will find 5 plans that you can experience in December in Gran Canaria to discover the island to its fullest. Enjoy an island that attracts more people year after year for their winter holidays looking for peace, relax and variety.
Christmas in Gran Canaria
First of all, we would like to highlight the possibility of spending Christmas in Gran Canaria. Imagine you can exchange your scarf for your sunglasses and sunscreen and your winter on this island will be like a true sun paradise. Here, too, Christmas is celebrated together, just like anywhere else in the world... The streets smell of freshly roasted chestnuts, a scent that spreads all over the houses on the Canary Islands. A mixture of tradition and anticipation as Santa walks along the beach in flip-flops and the three holy kings get on their way.
Discover numerous activities in Gran Canaria in December:
1. A christmas crib out of sand in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
If there is one place where all the previously mentioned nuances come together, it is the sand crib on the beach of Las Canteras, in the capital of the island, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. True works of art in the form of sand sculptures, where in addition to the classic image of the birth of Jesus Christ, numerous other impressive figures, will surprise you on your journey through Bethlehem.
Imagine a wonderful day on the beach. With a relaxing walk that will lead you to these special sand sculptures, an area where you can also enjoy an excellent gastronomic offer.
2. A walk along the Dunes of Maspalomas
In the south of Gran Canaria, in Maspalomas, you will find this dreamlike sea of golden sand. Experience unique moments on a walk along this special beach and enjoy the incredible beauty of this place. Have you ever imagined walking along the dunes of the Atlantic Ocean in mid-December under excellent weather conditions? In Gran Canaria this is possible...
3. Visit a Waterpark
The fantastic climate that prevails on the island on most days of the year offers ideal conditions to enjoy refreshing bath. Aqualand, the largest water park on the island, is located in the south of Gran Canaria, in the municipality of San Bartolomé de Tirajana. An ideal place to enjoy the day together with your family or friends. Full of fun with numerous slides and refreshing water and an average temperature of 24 degrees, which usually prevails all year round in this region of the island.
4. Activities on the beach
In the majority of Europe during the winter months, the activities take place inside the house. Gran Canaria offers the possibility to enjoy numerous activities at the beach. Kayak excursions, paragliding, kite surfing or one of the famous boat parties are just a few examples of the endless fun you can have on this island. Get your summer clothes, sunscreen and towel and get ready for an unforgettable time on the Atlantic coast.
5. Enjoy the best hotels
All the activities mentioned above are always accompanied by fist class accommodation offers. There are many hotels on the island to suit all tastes and requirements. In this article we will introduce you to 4 of these options, which are perfectly adapted to your holiday ideas.
- Mirador Maspalomas:One of the best hotels in Gran Canaria. In the south of the island, in Maspalomas. This hotel is especially known for its excellent all-inclusive offer. Here you can enjoy a carefree holiday and choose a new experience each day, to experience this sunny winter on the island.
- Suites & Villas y Maspalomas Resort: One of the best ways to travel to Gran Canaria with your family in December. Here you will feel like in a small village in the middle of paradise. The excellent villas and bungalows offer you all the services you need for a holiday full of intimacy, autonomy and peace. The well-kept gardens will take you directly to the large pool area, where especially the young guests can enjoy the excellent climate in the south of the island.
- Don Gregory:This Adults Only Hotel will offer you endless peace for your sunny winter holiday, thanks to its nordic style. Enjoy first class services, such as the fantastic sun terraces where you can enjoy a delicious cocktail, the wellness area or the infinity pool.
Four unique hotels and 5 excellent activities to experience this winter and Christmas in a different way. Discover Gran Canaria in December.