Some advice to make you feel more comfortable traveling with your family to Gran Canaria.
Even though there are many hotels and destinations specially prepared for the whole family to enjoy, many parents still refuse to travel with their children, especially when they are small (between 1 and 4). In Gran Canaria, for example, our hotels are perfectly suited for family holidays thanks to their gardens, or to the individual bungalows just as in the case of our Dunas Resort in Maspalomas, which has very tranquil areas and yet, our agenda is filled with children's animation activities.
There are various reasons why many parents are reluctant to travel with their children, but the most common one is the fear of something happening or being unprepared to meet their children’s needs while away from home.
We’'d like to give you 5 tips to make you feel more comfortable traveling with your family, children incl.:
1. Get rid of fear: family holidays are possible and easy! Look around you when you travel, whatever the destination, there are many families that travel together and it’s extremely enriching for the children. They get to know new places, make new friends, they experience new things and they enjoy themselves even more than their own parents.
2. Bring your child’s favourite toy or baby swaddle blanket. If you are worried about your child getting homesick while away from home, bring a small stuffed toy or his/her swaddle blanket or cushion you normally use at home.
3. Documentation and First aid kit. Don’t forget your baby’s needs: Before traveling, check what kind of documentation your child will need (depending on the country of origin, destination and age) and also prepare a small first aid kit with the "indispensables". If you're staying in a hotel there will be no problem, as you’ll get help from reception if you need anything, but if your child has any special medical needs or you are planning a lot of hiking, with a little toilet bag in your backpack you’ll be ready.
4. Organize activities so the younger guests are amused. In a destination like Gran Canaria, organizing activities for your children to enjoy their holidays is extremely easy. If you stay in one of our hotels you have activities for all ages; they can enjoy the Mini-Club where they’ll also be able to play with our pet Duni. If you want to discover the island with them, we recommend visiting one of the theme and water parks in Gran Canaria or that you check which family activities the Tourism Board is suggesting.
5. Let them free! These are also their holidays. Holidays are holidays for everyone, so try to give them a little bit more freedom, be more flexible with their daily routine; surely the whole family will enjoy the experience!
We hope these tips have taken away your family holidays’ fears, because Gran Canaria is the perfect destination to enjoy with your children and we are looking forward to welcome you all at our hotels!